- Inventing Modern China in Japan’s Orient: The New Culture Movement and the Japanese Empire. Forthcoming.
- “China’s Lost Connection to the Global South: A Fanonian Reading of Yu Dafu and the Colonized Status of May Fourth Literature in the Japanese Empire,” When East is North and South. East Asia, Latin America, and the Decolonization of Trans-Pacific Studies, ed. Chiara Olivieri and Jordi Serrano-Muñoz (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2021).
- “Mythorealism, The Absurd, and Existential Despair in Yan Lianke’s Memoir and Fiction: Confronting the Fate of Sisyphus in Modern China’s Historical Traumas,” Routledge Companion to Yan Lianke, ed. Riccardo Moratto et al. (Abingdon UK: Routledge, forthcoming).
- “Modern Hua Mulans in Chinese Media: Female Healthcare Workers as Tools of Propaganda During the COVID-19 Pandemic,” Media Narratives during the Corona Pandemic: The Asian Experience, ed. Shubhda Arora et al. (Abingdon UK: Routledge, forthcoming).
- Co-author with Victor Mair. “Factual Narrative in Pre-Modern China: Historiography – Its Nature, Function and Influence on Narrative Fiction,” Narrative Factuality: A Handbook, ed. Monika Fludernik et al. (Berlin: Walter de Gruyter, 2020), pp 647-662.
- “Language Diversity in the Sinophone World,” Modern Chinese Literature & Culture (MCLC), March 2021. https://u.osu.edu/mclc/book-reviews/ashley-liu/
- “Sinographs in the Man’yōshū: Nature, Function, and Double Meaning,” Sino-Platonic Papers 264, Dec 2016, pp 157-174. http://sino-platonic.org/complete/spp264_sinitic_language_script.pdf.